Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Western Aspect


A topic of theme I am picking to write about is about Unforgiven and StageCoach. The first topic I am going to discuss with you is that cowboys are very reckless and will shot for no reason. In the film Unforgiven you see gun play in a lot of the scenes they show. It is almost a normal to expect a gun in almost every scene you see. But the cowboys in the movie do show some different sides to them involving the guns. For example Ned can’t shoot because he can’t shoot an innocent man. Will has to take over and kill him for Ned. This shows that Ned has some judgment and sees what will happen if he does. But on the other hand Will does not show any remorse when killing someone and does it with no thoughts. In a totally different scene you see Will not kill anyone and he just seems very calm about the whole situation around him. StageCoach on the other hand seems like they don’t use guns as much as they did in Unforgiven. This to me is very odd because in a western you see a lot of guns and in StageCoach you do not see many at all. An example of this is when Ringo tries to escape and the sheriff doesn’t even fire a shot he just runs after Ringo to stop him. I really don’t know about this movie because you want to see gun play in a western and I don’t like that there wasn’t much in the movie.
Another topic I will talk about is the role of women in the two films. In StageCoach they do not play as a big role and do not see them in many shots of the movie. I mean some scenes have them but throughout most of the film they just play a person who cleans and helps the home. But in Unforgiven it is the totally opposite. They play a big role and they are really all way thought the movie. One of the whores cut her faces cut up and the rest of them put a bounty of the heads of the cowboys who did this. This shows that they have a power or importance in the movie which is a very weird thing to see. Another thing you see in the two films is that the sheriff doesn’t seem to have much influence. In Stagecoach the sheriff holds Ringo the whole trip but he really doesn’t show your typical cop beating up on the inmate. But in Unforgiven little Bill shows no mercy on the cowboys and whoever get in his way. He whips beats and does anything he can to stop the violence in his town.

1 comment:

Megan's Blog said...

I definitely agree with you that the women in both movies played two totally opposite roles. I said that in my blog too. It's so crazy how two movies of the same genre and pretty close to the same time have two very different aspects of women. I feel like in Unforgiven, though they played a big role in the film were not very respected. And in Stagecoach, depending on the lady i guess were highly respectable people.